Originating from Germany, Direct Pipe® combines the benefits of micro tunneling and HDD drilling techniques.
This method combines a pipe thruster and tunneling machine that allows us to simultaneous excavate the borehole and install the pipe in one step for your project, allowing us to adhere to tight deadlines with ease.
Direct Pipe® can be applied to nearly any ground condition with our one-pass pipeline installation method, making it an ideal way to tackle any river crossings or man-made structures.
THE DRILLING PROCESS
A small launch pit is created from which a micro-tunneling machine (AVN) can begin excavation. The AVN uses a slurry circuit to pump excavated material out of the pipeline.
The pipeline is laid out on a series of rollers and is pushed through the borehole by a pipe thruster in five-meter increments strokes.
Throughout the excavation process, the tunnel face is controlled safely by slurry-supported tunneling technology. This guidance system can be utilized even in the most challenging and adverse conditions such as heterogeneous, water permeable soils, slopes and hills and curved drives.
- Small footprint – both geographically and environmentally
- Reducing risk with accurate guidance of the pipeline through curves as well as upward and downward slopes
- Rapid installation
- Permanent borehole support
- Excavation and pipeline insertion occur at once
- Prevents loss of tools down the drill-hole
- Shorter launch distances mean there is no need for extensive shaft construction
36″ – 60″ Large Diameter Pipelines